Suicide Blonde

Friday, June 23, 2006

Friday at Last

It's Finally Friday. I am feeling much better, which can be interpreted as: I'm only coughing my lungs out occasionally, rather than constantly as I was in the first part of this week. To tell you the truth, I don't know how I'm still alive, this week was not easy what with being sick and all PLUS the added affliction of not having air conditioning in my Jeep. Worse than coughing your brains out is coughing them out while you are soaked in perspiration at a red light in a Jeep in South Florida's lovely hot humidity with not even the faint trace of a breeze. Aaahhh! I'm so glad the week is over.

Also this week: I have never, ever forked over $507.61 so willingly as yesterday when the guy at the shop billed me for the repairs to my car. I almost cried, I almost kissed the mechanic, I almost left them a tip! I have AC in my car, people! Does it happen to you ladies in blogland that you take your car in for a repair, for example the air conditioning, and the mechanic always comes back with a look on his face like, "Lady, you better sit down, cuz this is bad news..." This happens to me every single time. Well, my car not only had AC problems, which was easy to diagnose since I didn't have one un-frizzy hair on my head or an inch of dry clothing when I rode in my car, but it also had radiator problems, it needed a hose replaced, the windshield wiper fluid receptacle had a leak and so on and so forth. I'm holding off on doing the other repairs for the simple reason that those repairs would cost more than the car originally did in the first place. It must be that I'm a woman and all and they figure I don't know Jack about mechanical car thingies. It doesn't help that when something goes wrong with the car I can just point and say "Smoke came out of there" or "It is making a horrible T-Rex sound like in the movie Jurassic Park" or "The car doesn't stop when I step on the brake thingie." It also does not help that when they try to explain what is wrong with the car (and I just know that the other mechanics are stifling laughter right behind us) I can only look back blankly and blink several times before I admit: "Is that a serious thing? What does that mean?" I have to admit that several times I came in and I had no idea what was wrong with the car but I tried to bluff it and I said "I think it's the carburetor" so I would at least sound like I knew SOMETHING about cars. Of course, they did not buy it and I think they like seeing me come in because they are guaranteed a couple of laughs for that day, plus I may tip them or something if they fix something important, like the Air Conditioning.

These shop guys are used to me and know that they can just add things to my repair bill which I will never in a million years discover that it shouldn't be there. "What is this flea bath charge for 69dollars and 32cents?" So we both play our parts and come away happy.

On quite a different note, my older son comes home tomorrow to spend 12 days with us before his next deployment. I am overjoyed and at the same time pre-worried sick. Making plans to make him all the dishes he loves (or to have my mom prepare them, yeah, that's better) and take him to the beach and shower him with love and let him have a wonderful time before he's gone for 6-7 months. Wish me luck!

Have a wonderful weekend!

4 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 7:26 AM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Hola, senor~ita (damned keyboard), and that's the recollectable extent of my polite Spanish.

 
At 6/24/2006 8:09 PM, Blogger Janet said...

At least you were sick the week before your son arrived. Now you have all the more time to attend to him properly!:)

 
At 6/25/2006 11:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So happy for you that your air conditioning got fixed! What a pain not to have it in the heat of Florida. Oh man. I'd die before I ever got it to the shop.

Enjoy the time with your son. Isn't it wonderful to be able to spoil the ones you love?

 
At 6/26/2006 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine Miami and NO AC!

12 days with your son? Gooooooooood, and now you can drive him around in 12 days of fresh, icy, cool air! xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home