Suicide Blonde

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dreams

Last night I dreamt one of my recurring dreams. I'm at a seashore, and there are beautiful, baby blue waves with white frosting washing up, a pale, soft sunshine and I'm walking on the shore looking down at beautiful pastel-colored shells that I gather. This is always a soothing dream for me, and sometimes I'm accompanied by my late father, who never says anything, just walks gently next to me.

Some of my recurring dreams/nightmares:

I never graduated - In this dream, I check my own records and find that I never graduated college. Usually, I dream that I have failed a Science or a Statistics class. I "forgot" to keep attending class, or I never turned in two difficult papers, or I did not show up for the final. I have a dreaded "F" on my transcript.

I can't find my class - I am in high school or in college and I'm frantically searching for my next class. Needless to say, the bell is about to ring and I have no clue where my class is. I stick my head in a few classrooms and nothing looks familiar, and if I don't find it soon I will find myself in the "I never graduated" dream.

I am naked at school or work - I find myself either in the hallway at work or at my old high school. I have a file folder or a towel from Physical Education in my hand and I'm trying to cover up the fact that I'm totally naked. I perspire a lot in this one.

I'm driving and I can't see well - OK this one may be really happening when I go deeper into senior citizendom but in my dream it's either raining or dark and I'm driving but I can't see crap out the windshield. In true dream fashion, I never think to pull over, I keep on driving and missing horrible collisions by microns. Usually the car is full of people.

I'm in another country - I have this dream very often because when I was young my family moved around a lot. I'm in (insert country name here) and I don't have the right currency but I have to take a taxi somewhere. I don't know how to tell the driver where to go, actually I don't know where I'm going, or how I'm going to pay him when I get there. I don't have a job and have to find one but I don't speak the language well (back to fast food employment for me). I cry a lot in this dream and ask "Why did I do this to myself?"

I find coins/treasure - This is one of my favorite dreams. I have two versions of this dream. In one, I am walking somewhere, I look down and see a whole bunch of coins under bushes or under rocks. I start digging and keep finding more. The clincher is that I don't have a purse or anything to put them in so I'm desperately stuffing them in pockets. In the other version, I am in a huge, old mansion. I either open a room I had never seen before, or go up to the attic, or I see a hole in the wall that is a covered up entranceway to another room. This room is full of antiques and I eventually find a box full of jewelry or loose diamonds, emeralds, rubies and pearls. Lovely!

I fight someone - Usually if in real life I'm having problems with someone, I will eventually fight them in my dreams. Not insulting them, or arguing with them, I mean really fight them, physically. As you can imagine my ex-husband is in a lot of these dreams and I have really whaled on him.

Someone/something is in my house - This is also a very recurrent dream. I will be sitting in my living room and will suddenly sense that a horrible someone or something is at my front door. I run over to the door to lock it (why do I always leave it unlocked?) but I never make it. The thing/bad person gets in. Then I try to scream for help but all that comes out is like a pathetic little whisper. I always wake up before anything (like my ex-husband) gets me.

I have a baby and I have forgotten about it - In this one, I open a drawer and lo and behold I have forgotten that I put my baby in there a few days ago. I haven't fed it or bathed it or anything. I feel horribly guilty and try to make up for the neglect. But every time I put the baby down I forget about it again.

I'm getting married - Ok, please don't laugh at this one. It's another anxiety dream. It's 3pm and I'm getting married in 45 minutes. My hair and bangs are a mess and I am nowhere near a beauty salon or a hair drier. I don't have a dress or I have one but it is torn to shreds and I have to sew it up. I also have to call people to invite them to be ready in 45 minutes for my wedding. I'm also insanely calling restaurants to see if we can have the reception there. Yikes.

Does anybody out there have these dreams or am I the only crazy one?

16 Comments:

At 7/11/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

The only one I really remember is where I'm falling at a high rate of speed and wake up sweating, embedded in my mattress and my limbs slightly raised.

Haven't had that one in quite a few years.

 
At 7/12/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Hi Fronty! Yes, I have that one too, the I'm falling off something dream. Usually though I am hanging from a Ferris Wheel and it keeps moving around and around until I have to let go. And I'm not coordinated enough to wait until I'm close to the ground to let go, I let go when I'm at the way top of the wheel. Then I wake up perspiring and clawing at the air.

 
At 7/13/2006 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the driving dream, lost cat drem, and then I also have one where I have a baby and I am failing at taking care of it. Also I haveone where I fight but the punches are slow motion and pillow soft. Therapist Needed.

 
At 7/13/2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Dyna,

I have one where I'm trying to run away from something (bad) and I'm doing it in slo mo. Horrible.

 
At 7/13/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Ive had some weird reoccuring dreams over the years. Mostly they involve fire, teeth falling out, not having shoes and being pregnant.

On the bright side, these things never occur at the same time.:)

 
At 7/13/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Janet, You made me laugh, you are so cheery and positive! I have another recurring dream (I didn't list them all b/c the post would have been pages and pages long) where my teeth are loose and they are falling out. In my dream I try to put them back and hope they stay. How's that for optimistic?

 
At 7/13/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I read somewhere teeth falling out is a sign of false friendships.

Or maybe it's just a sign of false teeth.:)

 
At 7/14/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have some of those same dreams!!! Especially the school ones. I'm either unable to find a collge class, or forget that I'm taking it and never go so it's the end of the year and there's the final and I KNOW NOTHING.

It's horrible.

I also have a bad driving one, where my brakes go out.

Aren't reoccurring dreams odd?

 
At 7/14/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Zig said...

What an amazing night life you have! I have insomnia, now I'm wondering if I'm actually the lucky one! I can only really remember one dream that made an impression and in it I could fly - for some reason it involved the same body movements as breaststroke so I feel it was unlikely to have any basis in reality, but I do remember it was the most incredible and exhilarating experience!

 
At 7/14/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

More on dreams:

Janet, in the Cuban culture dreaming of falling teeth is an omen of death in the family.

Pammy, I have always been fascinated by dreams and I suspect that most of our dreams are either universal or they have a specific meaning for each person depending on their experiences.

Ziggi, I have had the flying dream and wow is it wonderful or what? I also have the dream where I'm racing down a winding staircase and I'm half-flying, my feet hardly touch the ground.

 
At 7/18/2006 7:30 PM, Blogger jromer said...

yeah, the brakes going out...or worse, i'm on a steeeeep hill and the car begins to slide back and NOTHING stops it. always have dreams of this nature when i feel like my life is sliding out of my control.

 
At 7/19/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger Robbiegirl said...

The falling dream is supposed to be when your blood pressure drops during the night!

It always wakes you up before you hit the ground.

I have horrible dreams when I finally get to sleep. Never nice ones. Yuk.

 
At 7/19/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Anna (jromer): Do you know that when I was in high school that same exact thing happened to me? I was in an ooooold pickup truck with my best friend and we were cleaning out her parents' garage and hauling stuff to the dump. At the top of the hill at the dump, the truck stopped and started racing down, we had no brakes! Another guy friend that was ahead of us got out of his truck and somehow wrenched open the driver's side door and got in. He jump-started the truck and saved our lives!!! NOT A DREAM!

Anna: I did not know that about the blood pressure. I have to go get checked since I get that falling dream every night!

 
At 7/19/2006 6:21 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

I do have dreams but not on that scale. I would be interested to know if there is some factor in your awake life that causes so much drama. Like say your diet, or maybe watching too much telly, or being online too much, or just having really active minds and doing loads of thinking.

 
At 7/20/2006 8:49 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I'm glad to hear you have the 'never graduated' dream too. Happens to me regularly - I've always failed my A Levels (high school level exams in the UK); or I've forgotten to revise; or I failed to do any work for my dip show at photography college.

Which probably goes to prove that exams are flaming unnatural, and should be outlawed.

I also have a recurring dream where I haven't looked after the house properly, and it's falling down; and I think that's something to do with the stress of paying a mortgage. Mortgages should also be outlawed.

The third one is the most vivid, and that's where I'm plunging into the icy depths having failed to get into the lifeboats. You'll be glad to hear this one only happens after I watch a DVD of Titanic. It's on my shelf now, but I've outlawed it from my life forever...

 
At 7/20/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Tom - I don't think it's my diet because I eat very healthy stuff so I can't blame the pizza cuz I don't eat it! In the nice dreams I'm sometimes aware of thinking "I'm dreaming this again and it's so relaxing." So I think our minds use the dreams to 1) soothe us or 2) to give us worst-case scenarios so we don't freak when things happen to us in real life. Does that make sense?

Mark - Going back to a comment Tom made about having control of one's life in a previous post, if exams, mortgages and scary movies were outlawed we would still have horrifying dreams that our toenail clippers were not working correctly or something like that. That's just how we human apes are. Worriers. Right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home