Suicide Blonde

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Lifetime of Waiting

First off, let me explain something about the way I look at politics. I am NOT by any means a Republican (Too many countries invaded) but neither am I a Democrat (Too many blow jobs in the White House). I am not a Libertarian (Wayy too much freedom and chaos) nor an Independent (They will never win an election). Like Chris Rock, I feel that I need to examine issues individually and not blindly and automatically adhere to whatever my party or my church or my ethnic group is backing. I am intrinsically afraid and wary of bunches of people deciding things for me.

So basically I don't feel I belong to any political group or follow any particular thought. What I do is think about each thing that happens (or that doesn't and should) and I make up my mind whether I'm for it or against it, and vote accordingly or email my congressman, etc.

All that preamble just to say the following: I know that a lot of people around the world revere Fidel Castro. I never understood this. Yes, he did stand up to the US proving he's either got big balls or he's insane, possibly both things. Yes, he did set up a system where there is social medicine , but there are no medicines and the hospitals have no equipment nor supplies unless you are a tourist and are coming to get breast implants. The Castro regime did build schools even in the most remote and rural areas in Cuba, but folks, if you're not a member of the Communist Party your kid does not go to the university, he cuts cane. He did a few good things, but to me that is like saying that Hitler got all the European Jews together and gave them jobs.

These are not meant to be political ramblings by a person that cannot even follow Vicus's posts nor the comments on them. This is just how I feel about the guy. First, he lied about not being Communist, then he took my country and made it into his own little fiefdom. So many people killed, silenced, tortured, imprisoned, intimidated, bullied, starved, worked to death, forced to flee into shark-infested waters. All of this so he could rule uncontested and unopposed.

In November 1960, my family and I left La Habana and took a 1/2 hour flight to Miami. Like any refugees, we got here with no money, no jobs. Just the 17 pieces of luggage that my mother packed. We had blankets, photo albums, clothing for my sister and me for the next year or two, some of my dad's books, and a Spanish/English dictionary that family and friends borrowed endlessly. I was six and my sister was five. My whole family, even while embracing life in the US and thanking our lucky stars that we were able to make it here, always dreamed and talked about when we would return to Cuba. What we would do, what a wonderful thing it would be to see the rest of our family, live in a free Cuba again. We never thought that we would be here 46 YEARS waiting for the insanity to end.

So when I heard the news that he was sick and that he was handing over power to his brother, my first thoughts were about the members of my family that died waiting for Castro to fall. My grandmother, who died without seeing her brothers and sisters in Cuba. My father, who at 36 years of age left his wife and two daughters in a strange country to fight in the Bay of Pigs invasion, and who later came back to us and would sit at home crying, his nerves shot by what he had experienced and the realization that his country was lost.

Needlesss to say, I took to the streets on Monday night, bringing my pots and pans to celebrate at La Carreta on 87th Avenue and Bird Road along with hundreds of other Cuban people. I hope he dies and I hope it's painful.

35 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 8:40 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Carmenzta:

Thank you so much for this. What a beautiful, first-hand insight into this and him and how he affected your family.

The latest I heard is that he's recovering, however, and brother Raoul was nowhere to be seen.

Thanks for sharing so much of yourself in this post. From way up here, I always wondered just how this guy could be so bad.

Your personal experiences really round out my feelings.

 
At 8/03/2006 1:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Such horrors Castro has visited upon his people, you included. Lo siento mucho el dolor que has sentido.

 
At 8/03/2006 4:49 AM, Blogger jromer said...

might powerful posting here. i love it that you speak your mind.
i'm linking you to my blog. i hope that is okay.

 
At 8/03/2006 5:20 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Well said. If it's any consolation, I figure it's not going to take long even if he does recover this time.

I just hope they're careful what they replace him with.

 
At 8/03/2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

WW, You are always appreciative of my drivel and I thank you for that! Where did the baboon go?

Pammy, gracias, mi amiga. Un abrazo.

Anna, of course you can link me. I haven't linked anyone on my blog b/c I have no clue how to do it, but I will soon when I figure it out!

Marky, you're right, we don't want to jump from the frying pan into the flame. It can always get worse, and it usually does!

 
At 8/03/2006 12:45 PM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Abrazo? Embrace? Kiss? Hug?

You colonials, with your funny lingo... :)

 
At 8/03/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

My goodness, Marky, don't you recognize Spanish? It's a language not "lingo." Ack, these brits.

 
At 8/03/2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I don' unnerstan', Mees Carmentazitata... But I proffer un abrazo, whatever it means, because it's a nice word (I'm assuming it's a friendly gesture).

 
At 8/03/2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Markeeto,

You are such a sweetie, I forgive you. An abrazo is a hug. But I am sending you a besito!

 
At 8/03/2006 3:54 PM, Blogger Cherrypie said...

Cuba's on my list of must visit places. Can we tack it onto our backpacking trip? after the bearded one has copped it of course.

great post, Carmentza x

 
At 8/03/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Cherrypie, from the pictures and what I can remember, it's a beautiful country. Yes, let's put it on our list of countries to backpack through. Bring lots of mosquito repellant!

 
At 8/03/2006 6:25 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

Carmy, I always thought that because US hated him he must be OK. Wrong again eh. Is there a politician on this planet that isn't a tosser?

 
At 8/03/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

I figured I could no longer dishonour the baboon in question by trying to BE him.

This poor reproduction of a caricature of me by HE will have to do for now until I find some other more appropriate avatar...

Or a more clear reproduction of this one.

 
At 8/04/2006 4:27 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Tom has now used the word 'tosser' in comments twice this morning, to my certain knowledge. I suspect he's in a bad mood. But I understand.

A besito, Carmetazitatita? I'm off to my online Spanish dictionary this instant...

 
At 8/04/2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Tommy, no, there isn't.

WW, I'm waiting for your next manifestation, but I don't think the baboon suits you, even though he's really cute.

Marky, hope you found the word in the dictionary.

 
At 8/04/2006 3:22 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

So Carmy, you are a cuban of spanish descent, or decsent, or ancestry. When did your family go to Cuba, and how come you left and others stayed.

 
At 8/04/2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmenzta,

It appears that CNN just hired Castro's daughter as a commentator. Do you know if she is for or against? Was it so dangerous for her that he had to leave also?

I went to school with a girl who had also emigrated from Cuba, about the same time you did, 1960. When asked about this, all she would do is blanch, get sad and say nothing.

I live in England now and when I look at the news I get the same feeling your Dad did after the Bay of Pigs, that the home I knew has been lost. I'm hope I'm wrong.

 
At 8/04/2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Tommy, I am third generation Cuban. Most of my ancestors (great-grandparents) came from the Canary Isles a long time ago.

We left Cuba mainly because my dad worked in Public Works and he was very outspokenly against Castro and his regime. Actually they went to university at the same time and my dad always said Castro had been a gangster even wawy back then.

Why not everyone left: Most people believed in him and in a "Cuban" revolution. That soon went to hell when Castro admitted after the fact that he was in fact Marxist-Leninist. Then, people who had sons in their teens could not leave because their sons were approaching military age. Some people thought it would be over (the US would step in and do something)in a few years. Others had elderly parents, or sick relatives or whatever and didn't make it out. We were lucky that we got out in time and we were able to get my grandmother out a few years later.

 
At 8/04/2006 5:39 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Kat,

If you are talking about Naty Revuelta's daughter, as far as I know she's always been against him. I don't really know much about her story but I believe she wrote a book in the last decade or so about it.

I hope you're wrong about that too. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 8/04/2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Carmenzta,

In high school, I had a Spanish teacher who liked to point out that, unlike Batista, Castro kept all is people fed. Invariably, I thought; "Yeah, and that's like saying it's okay to keep young children fed and clothed in return for molesting them."

He would have made a lousy Washington Senator too.

 
At 8/05/2006 4:53 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Si, Carmentazzitattitatito...

Un beso grande in return :)

 
At 8/05/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

Mark, this spanish is doing my head in. I'm presuming you're flirting with Carmy - am I right?

 
At 8/06/2006 3:38 AM, Blogger tom909 said...

By the way, I don't blame you - I'd give it a go but Pammy might see me.

 
At 8/06/2006 3:45 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Wha', moi?

I'm just brushing up on my Spanish :)

 
At 8/07/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

FE: I think that if Castro's regime was so swell, people would not be taking to rafts to cross the shark-infested waters between Cuban and Florida. It says a lot about a country when people are not allowed to leave when they please.

Tommy and Markie: You flirty blogging Brits!

 
At 8/07/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

Sorry Carmy - I just like girls!

 
At 8/07/2006 2:54 PM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

And some girls more than others...

 
At 8/07/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tommy!! There goes my heart. And just when I thought I'd found the perfect British bloke.

....mmmmm...love that accent.

 
At 8/07/2006 5:03 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

God that Pammy's got me on a tight leash, and I love it!

 
At 8/07/2006 8:04 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

What a story Carmenzta..you actually have the right to denounce the old bastard whereas I don't but I am going to anyway...

Castro is a egomaniacal monster who has accomplished nothing except singlehandidly exiled Cuba into decades of needless poverty.

In the dictionary under the word PUPPET they should have a picture of Fidel Castro. Hopefully the Russians will have the decency to order their best taxidermist to 'stuff' Fidel and place him, all curled up like a lapdog, right in the middle of Red Square. On his dog tag it could read,
Dear Kommrad, Good Boy,
Thanks...Sucker!

 
At 8/08/2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Wish somebody had me on a tight leash.... POUT

 
At 8/08/2006 3:22 PM, Blogger Cherrypie said...

Mark - it can be arranged. You look lovely when you pout x

 
At 8/08/2006 5:35 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

HE - Couldn't agree with you more. We went from Batista (frying pan) to Castro (flame). I'm just glad his demise is imminent and hope someday Cuba will be free and democratic.

Markie and Cherry and Tommy and Pammy: The outrageous flirting that goes on here is amazing!

falugdy - apres lundi, mardi, mercredi, ...

 
At 8/08/2006 6:01 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

Dontcha just love it. It's because in real life beautiful women scare the crap out of me, but on here I have no fear.

 
At 8/14/2006 11:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fess up Tommy dear. I don't frighten you. ::smooch::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home