Suicide Blonde

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Female Mythtique

At the university where I work, they teach this class entitled "Psychology of Women." The course description reads as follows:

"An examination of women from various perspectives, such as biological, anthropological, mythological, religious, historical, legal, sociological, and psychoanalytical points of view. Discussions of ways in which these various perspectives influence the psychological development of contemporary women."

My question is: "HUH?" I checked all of the psychology class listings and guess what, folks? They do not offer a "Psychology of Men." Does that surprise you? Before anyone comments on the apparent feminism of this post, let me assure you that I am not what you would call a real feminist. I believe that each person, regardless of gender, holds a place in the world, in nature, in society and so things always even out.

You may be thinking: What does she mean by that? And I would answer: If you are a woman and are a genius, there is NO WAY that our society can keep you down. They may pay us 75 cents to a man's dollar, but in the end if you are intelligent, persistent, a hard worker (at least at first), and you know what you are doing, you will rise like the cream in milk. Can't keep good people down, that is my belief.

However, why don't they teach a "Psychology of Men?" What is up with that? So does that mean that regular Psychology classes are based only on male psychology and this one class will explain the female? Ridiculous.

It bothers me that there should be a class dedicated to explaining the female psyche, as varied and as complex and as different as women are. This class would explain exactly what? That we were the gatherers whereas men were the hunters? Then, jumping a few thousand years, women were the homemakers and men the breadwinners? I just don't understand it. Why do we merit a special class to explain our psychology and isn't that a crazy thing to try to do? The way I see it, you cannot lump people together. You cannot catalog people by gender or by ethnicity or by nationality or by sexual orientation or anything. It is enough to make a stupid statement like "Women are maternal" to be shown examples of women who abandoned their kids, or neglected them, or in extreme cases even murdered them.

A few days back a coworker told me a story about being in line at a clothing store and a hispanic female tried to butt in the line and my coworker told her off in English (she is white), and the woman acted like she didn't understand English. My coworker said to her that that's the reason hispanics should not be allowed into this country. Now, my coworker knows that I'm also "hispanic" (a label which I dislike and is totally inaccurate anyway, but that's another post). When she finished, I blinked my eyes a few times. Then I said to her: "You know that that was an asshole problem, not a hispanic problem." And she replied, "Yes you're right." Sigh. Moral: Please don't generalize.

If they offered, for example, a class called "Cuban Psychology." What would that be like? Or another example: "Psychology of Bible-Belt America." Or "Gay Psychology." I don't think any of those would be approved, so why "Psychology of Women?" If I was the professor I'd show up the first day of class and say "OK, people, the difference is that women have two X chromosomes and men have an X and a Y. Discuss among yourselves. Everyone gets a Pass grade. You are dismissed. Yeah, dismissed for the whole semester, go home. Or go wherever you like, just don't stay here."

Makes me mad. (I didn't want to say "It pisses me off.")

5 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Ah, something on which I can make a pseudo-informed comment.

When I was a history grad student and teaching assistant at Old Dominion University in the late 1980's, my office was right around the corner from the Women's Studies department office.

Now, I like to think I got along with the grad assistant working in the WS office. I didn't hit on her, since I was married. I'd tell bad jokes, be polite and say hi when I walked by. The other assistant in that office would act like I was trying to corrupt one of the sisterhood.

I always wondered why a separate women's studies department in the same way I'd wonder why a separate black history alliance and so many other cultural breakaway groups in the history department. In my eye, it was doing the same thing that those groups accused white males of doing to the study of history - they were putting a narrow prism on their view of history instead of realizing that good, intellectually honest historical study tries to understand all groups involved in the span of a particular era or a particular event.

But then I'm a dumb guy too >B^D>

 
At 10/05/2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Fronty, are we ever on the same page on this. I can't believe you told bad jokes when you were a grad student. I'm shocked! ha ha ha Seriously, why there is a Women's Studies program (here too) and not a Men's Studies is a puzzle to me. Especially the way some men behave (or not!).

 
At 10/05/2006 10:57 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Wow, Carm, you're loaded for bear!

This is a great question. why psychology, and then "women's psychology?"

I don't have a clue and can only guess. And I'm not saying I agree with the rationale of what I'm about to say, only throwing it out there...

Could it be a holdover from the 60s or 70s and beyond when there was a movement towards women's rights and a need to understand that, hey, society, women are NOT being treated fully as equals and so we need to INFORM the male-dominated world that THIS is who they are and THIS is what makes them tick?

An analogy: do we in North America and Europe as a group, for example, understand the psychology of extremist Muslim groups? No, not really? Well, would it help to have a "Psychology of Muslims" course to enable us to do that?

Again, I'm not saying that your points aren't completely correct. Why not have a "Psychology of Men" course? The fact is, men and women are different (thank god).

I'm with you. Just pondering it, that's all...

 
At 10/09/2006 5:34 AM, Blogger jromer said...

Perhaps in this society you can rise to the top if you are a genius, but I know of many societies where regardless of any sort of intelligence, women are still treated like chattel, sold into marriage or brothels, not allowed to drive, definitely not allowed to own property, etc.

darling, you claim you are not a real feminist and you believe the class on women is stupid.
darling, I AM a real feminist and I believe the class to be stupid.
Interesting, yes?
the class is stupid. i wonder who takes it? men who want a 'clue' or women who are confusing it with a true women's history class?
and i'm sorry your friend doesn't understand the 'asshole' equation. what a shame. she's lucky you still speak to her.

 
At 10/09/2006 4:39 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

WW, I'm sure you're right when you say that it may be a holdover from early feminism. I just think that people have a lot more in common than what they have in differences. So, to me, a course in Psychology of Women without a corresponding Psychology of Men, is ridiculous. It's like only females are difficult to understand. You feel me?

Anna, you are right that I was referring to women being successful in the western world. It's much easier here than in other areas. Believe me, inequality bothers me too and I agree that in some parts of our world women are still being mistreated and put down. I still hate that class!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home