Suicide Blonde

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Finally Thrusday

Ok, my coworker, the one that coined the term "Thrusday" is a trip and I have to tell you about him. This is my coworker from my part-time employment at the fine jewelry department of a famous retail store of Thanksgiving balloon parade fame.

In our department, we are a bevy of about 15 women of varying ages, nationalities, ethnicities, civil status, etc. We are all very different and yet, contrary to popular belief that "Women cannot work together" we get along so well and we are very much a team. Except for one or two difficult people, who exist in every environment. It would be an interesting sociological research question "What is the average percentage of difficult people (aka SOB's) in each work environment?" My guess is that the percentage would depend on how much money is at stake, more SOB's the more money is involved. But I'm also guessing that there is a stable and average number of agitators or sour apples or just plain obnoxious persons in every work group regardless of education, religion, gender, etc.

Anyway, our little group of women, some full-time and some part-timers like me, work like a charm together and they are absolutely a great collection of wonderful people, warm, friendly, sweet, and very, very intelligent. We spend the time at work selling jewelry, but also hearing about each other's lives, troubles and tribulations, love interests or gripes about spouses, offering each other cheap and unprofessional advice for every imaginable situation. Within our group, there are some that are practically best friends with each other and call each other every day and meet for lunch, etc. One of my women coworkers was the one that gave me a beautiful freshwater pearl rosary another coworker had brought her from Venezuela as a gift, so it would protect my son in Iraq. Another one is 61, works a full-time job at the HR deparment of a local hospital and works a part-time with us at the store. Even though she only works part-time, she is the department's top salesperson in $$. She knows everything there is to know about diamonds, precious and semi-precious stones. She also cares for her elderly mother who needs constant attention. Another is in her late fifties, does math word problems "for fun," works full-time at her daughter's bridal gown business and works part-time at the store. She is one of the most intelligent people I know. She can analyze a problem in the most logical manner and come out with viable solutions that actually make sense. Another studied music in her native country and is selling jewelry here because she still does not know English very well. Despite that, she is taking classes to become a medical biller and is struggling but getting excellent grades in her classes.

Even though I've only worked there for two years, as opposed to almost 10 at my full-time job, I feel so close to all these women. In a very short time they have endeared themselves to me and vice-versa and we have worked harmoniously and enjoyably together.

In this group we have two male co-workers who are charmers and we love them. One of them, "Antoine," is tall, dark-skinned, handsome with his hair closely trimmed, sporting a neat goatee and impeccably dressed always. He is so much fun to work with because he is so creative and outgoing and at the same time a warm and lovely person. He has given each of us a name, a twist on our real names according to our personalities. He calls me "Kermesse" because he says that I am like a school bazaar, I am a communicator, I get around and talk to everyone and find out what they are doing and what's going on. Another co-worker, whose name is Martha he calls "Martillo" (hammer) because she is one of the difficult ones. Working with Martillo is tough because she, unlike the others, competes with everybody to get sales. We have our courtesy rules in our group and they are almost always respected, mostly to keep the peace. If you have shown a couple twenty engagement rings and they decide on one particular one but don't want to buy it that day for whatever reason, you give them a print-out of the item description with your name on it. If that customer comes another day and you're not there at the store, whoever helps them should ring up the sale on your number, since you were the one that helped them. Well, Martillo does not observe this rule, or any other. She is ruthless and will sell the ring under her number, getting the comission. This causes a lot of friction, needless to say but I said it anyway. Martillo is not a popular person with her coworkers but I feel sorry for her so I treat her nicely too. We have another co-worker "Clara," which means "Clear" in Spanish, whom Antoine calls "Un-Clear" because she is one of the top salespeople in our department but she forgets to write down what she sells in the log, making for huge discrepancies at closing time.

I usually work night part-time and weekends at the store. Most of the time, when I get out of my day job I feel really tired and I have to force myself to trudge to my part-time job. BUT once there, I have a wonderful time, and I really look forward to seeing my friends there and catching up on the latest goings-on with them. I love those people!

17 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Zig said...

goodness you work hard - you deserve a medal and you're always so positive - I love reading your blog, it really is inspirational especially when I feel like moaning - you cheer me up and set me straight - thsank you! xx

 
At 9/14/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Zig said...

don't know what that stray 's' is doing in there! ooops
by the way we call the difficult ones 'dark angels'

 
At 9/14/2006 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what is the consensus about the composition of the England squad to contest the Ashes this winter? You didn't mention that, did you?

 
At 9/14/2006 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, there's a least one in every crowd. A friend of mine told me this years ago when I was uselessly raging one day about a collection of them at my then-place of work. It changed my perspective immediately.
Now my question is, does the fact that you've got one as the boss attract them because that's what they tend to hire, or repel them because the underlings tend to band together to defend themselves? The last place I was at had two of out three complete nutjobs as bosses. As a result, they managed to hire every nutball within a 50 mile radius. Fun place. I work at a great place now, but I hope not to repeat that again in this lifetime.

 
At 9/14/2006 3:54 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Ziggi, thsanks you too for your comment. I have to be positive because otherwise I would crawl into the fetal position on my bed and just lie there quivering!!! "Dark Angels!" Love that term.

Vicus, if I had gone on to that subject the post would have been encyclopaedia length. And remember, Old Cabbage, I'm a colonial and could give a crap about cricket or whatever it is you brits are constantly harping on.

Kat, according to my sociological hypotheses (all two of them), if the boss is a jerk that just serves to make things more cutthroat and meanly competitive, attracting much worse co-worker-jerks. Sadly. I'm glad you are in a better place, it keeps the wear and tear down!

 
At 9/14/2006 4:00 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Carm, great to see a new post.

They're usually upbeat and make you laugh or they can be serious and make you think.

I think work mirrors society -- for every 10 great people, there have got to be one or two cretins.

It's just the way it is.

The test, I think, is to do just what you said you do: have fun with the ones who are easy to get along with and try your best to tolerate the trouble ones.

I agree with Ziggi that you sure have a lot of energy holding down two jobs...

 
At 9/14/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Cherrypie said...

I bet you don't work Fridays though. Is that a rumba I feel coming on? oooh! Cha cha cha xxx

 
At 9/15/2006 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmenzta, old zucchini, despite my tolerance for your colonial origins, I cannot forgive the use of "could give a crap". Over here we say "couldn't give a crap". Which one makes more sense? No wonder you have problems in the workplace.

 
At 9/15/2006 11:33 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Hey Vicus, Olk Okra, I'm Kermesse, not Martillo. I don't have problems in the workplace, I just show up and try to keep it light.

Cherry, Fridays are not available for working in my book! Even here at my full time job, we all just kind of show up but you can't expect anything from us on Freeday!

WW, I don't have a lot of energy, I just show up. Like a co-worker once said to me "You could call in sick every now and then!"

 
At 9/15/2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Er, "Old" not "Olk"

 
At 9/15/2006 4:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kermesse! Love it!

Tell vicus to sod off. Over on this side of the pond it's 'I could give a crap', and especially when you're speaking about cricket. For us, crickets are those bugs that make noise and eat our crops.

Hey WithinWithout!! Thanks for leaving a message on my machine thingy! It was great to hear your voice. Thanks C! :grin:

Oh, and Carmentza, you DO have an amazing amount of energy. I can hardly keep myself going and I don't ....oh wait. I do. Nevermind.

 
At 9/16/2006 1:16 AM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Carm:

What? You just show up? Just out of the goodness of your heart?

Pam:

Now I'm going to start making crank calls for the entire world to hear.

Cherry Pie:

I didn't know Brits could do the rumba!! Did you take lessons from Carmenzta?

 
At 9/18/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

WW, no, I show up due to a very faint, but there nonetheless, feeling of responsibility, obligation and service. Usually this feeling is gone by Thrusday or by the second glass of wine, whichever comes first.

Pammy, I still could not leave you a message, try as I might. I get a woman's voice giving me another number for customer service that I don't want!

Cherrypie, there was indeed a rumba brewing AND a cha-cha! Join us whenever you're in the neighborhood.

 
At 9/18/2006 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I've missed you in my absence! I want to work with you and the lovelies. There must be, however, at least one exception to the more money = more SOB's:

TEACHING


What a bunch of poor, bitchy women I have worked with. This work site is good, but the past schools? SOB's Galore! xoxox

 
At 9/21/2006 4:42 AM, Blogger tom909 said...

Kermesse, top post m'dear.
So as one who has avoided the 'workplace' all my life, I can only imagine what it is like to come up against these people.
I'm not so sure I could find the love in my heart if they were real prats. I tend to shoot my mouth of a bit if I see real crap going on, or walk off, which isn't so easy if you have to work there.
You are an inspiration Kermy - luv ya!

 
At 9/21/2006 10:31 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Dyna, my best friend is a middle school teacher and she says the same thing about her coworkers. Especially women being really cruel to other women! Amazing.

Tommy, I have no choice, I can't avoid the workplace so...make the best out of it! Until I win the lottery or marry a plastic surgeon. I actually prefer the latter...

 
At 9/21/2006 11:48 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

tell you what, lots of people would love to be able to say the same thing; that they loved the people they work with. lucky you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home