Suicide Blonde

Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Songs

Ziggi tagged me on this one. Songs that mean something to me, and obviously I'm going to like them too... There are so many, here it goes:

My Cuban roots: My mom and dad loved music and always had something playing on the record player. So, anything by Trio Los Panchos, Ernesto Lecuona, Celia Cruz, Olga Guillot will take me back to those early days. Also, Agustin Lara, a Mexican artist who sang the most beautiful and romantic songs (Noche de Ronda, Maria Bonita, Veracruz, for example).

Childhood: The Beatles were and will always be my idols. I was nine when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan Show (So you don't have to do the mental math, I'm 52) and they might as well have been from another planet, they were so adorable with their moptops and their chic skinny suits. My favorite Beatle song of all time is "Ticket to Ride." And when "Help" came out I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Pre-Teen: "Cherish" by The Association was a song that all pre-teens could slow dance to and it was then possible to steal a kiss and maybe make out if you were off dancing in a corner and the adults were looking the other way (hardly ever happened!).

Teen: Santana "Abraxas" was the background music during my teen years. Every song on that LP was great. My sister and I shared a bedroom and we had a clunky record player on the floor and we would play that record over and over again until we fell asleep. Hope it didn't have any subliminal messages.

Young Adult: It may sound silly or something but I loved the Bee Gees. So did my sister. When my sister got married and had my niece she would sing "The New York Mining Disaster" to her ("In the event of something happening to me, there is something I would like you all to see...). Another favorite was "Lonely Days" (Lonely days, Lonely nights, where would I be without my woman...").

Full-blown Adulthood: "China Girl" by David Bowie, I don't know why, loved the beat and the video was cool.

Now: My kids were raised on Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Led Zep, Guns 'n' Roses, U2, AC/DC. When they were little they didn't like this kind of music (because they preferred "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round") but they grew to love it and now that is about all they hear.

My All-Time Favorite Song: "All I Want is You" by U2. Why? I don't know. I love everything about it, and I love Edge's guitar, I love Bono's voice, I love the lyrics, I loved the video.

Off to check if FE did his list.



12 Comments:

At 10/05/2006 1:01 PM, Blogger Zig said...

Oh Carmenzta I'm sorry!

 
At 10/05/2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I forgot all about The Association. Just like sex - even when they were bad, hey, they were still fairly good.

And Lonely Days was one of the few Bee Gees songs I really liked

 
At 10/05/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Zig said...

Great, great list! D'you when I first checked on here it just said 'My Songs' and nothing else - I thought I'd offended you in some way!

 
At 10/05/2006 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder how many people were watching that Ed Sullivan show that night. I was, in California.

"Cherish" has special meaning for me as well. A very special person in my life-a musician, of course-played that for me during a show.

 
At 10/05/2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Cherrypie said...

I'd buy your soundtrack

 
At 10/05/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Oh Dear.
And we were doing so well until we got to the Bee Gees.
Do you not have the Hendrix version of "Wheels on the Bus"?

 
At 10/05/2006 5:03 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I have a copy Vicus, but it's called Crosstown Traffic >B^D>

yzesuajc - the sound inspired bu syrup of ipecac

 
At 10/06/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Ziggi, I'm not easily offended, unless you call me "Old Cabbage."

Kat, I think everyone tuned in to Ed's show that night. I remember that for weeks before the show they had commercials telling us that the Beatles were coming, you remember that too? Way back in the day when there were like 4 channels.

Cherry, thank you, it's only $19.99 and you get two CD's!

Vicus, what do you have against the Bee Gees? Weren't they Brits until they moved to South Florida?

FE, you and Vicus made me laugh! Thank you both, I needed that! BTW, Fronty, the ipecac really affected you, you couldn't even spell the word "by" correctly!

 
At 10/08/2006 5:00 AM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Mu pleas . . . mu plea . . . muWAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGUUUHHHWAUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

 
At 10/08/2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Carmy, I LOVE Celia Cruz! I also have enjoyed 'El Puma', Jose Louis Rodriquez on occasion.

I was too young to see or remember that Ed Sullivan show, but my brother had all their records and so I learned to love them via him.

Also, the Bee Gees were cool!

I did have a crush on Bobby Sherman. Remember him?

 
At 10/09/2006 4:45 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Pammy, I remember Bobby Sherman. He was cute!

 
At 10/09/2006 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

He really was, plus he played that shy guy on that show. What was it called? Something about brides in Seattle...

Now I have that song going through my head...

...the bluest skies you'll ever see are in Seattle....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home