Suicide Blonde

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Everything Sucks


Please understand. I don't think EVERYTHING really sucks, but just some things. I like the sound of that title better than "Some Things Suck."

Again, I'm under a lot of stress. My boy is still in Iraq and every day we get news of stuff going on over there. It doesn't help that CNN declares over and over that this month has been the deadliest one ever since the Iraq thing started. It doesn't help that his dad (my ex) is calling me every day to ask if I "heard something." He's pretty much soiling his pants and he was always the strong one. It also doesn't help that last time my son called, when I asked him if he wanted me to send him sheets or pillows he told me, "Mom, we're sleeping on the ground." It further does not help that he was very pissed off about something that last time he called and he kept saying that he couldn't talk about it but that they (the troops) were being put in grave danger. After that call I came upon an article written about his commander in which he explains that now the squads are not allowed to shoot back when they are being attacked. That they first have to verify who is shooting at them. This is the new policy and it was put in place to "protect civilian life." Yeah, well, who is protecting my son's life? When a sniper shoots at them, what are they expected to do? Look around them, like in "Are you being served" when the salespeople are asked if they are free? In that split second a sniper or a mortar can get them. It really sucks, and now I understand why my son is angry and feels so frustrated and helpless. And here I am, and I can do nothing for him.

I promise that in February, when he comes back, I will never ever again write about this or go on and on about him. Ever. Right now, though, I need to vent.

Since he left for Iraq, I have written something like 12 condolence emails to families of casualties. I went to the funeral of one of his battalion buddies that was shot by a sniper and talked to this young man's mom and dad, nice hard-working people who were bewildered by the fact that their son was gone. They had that "tharn" look that wild animals get in our headlights at night. All I could do was hug his mom and whisper softly that things would be ok. She didn't know that I was lying.

What hurts me the most about all this is that these Marines are just boys. Boys with Toys. All the Marines I have met, and all of my son's buddies in Iraq are young, very young, idealistic, altruistic, they all wanted to do something for their country, they had high ideals of being important, of defending their flag... They are all good boys. Good boys with girlfriends that cry for them, good boys whose families love them and miss them like crazy. Good boys that should come back safe and sound.

I find myself thinking about my son, what he is doing right now, how the weather is over there, if he is looking up at the stars or at the clouds, if he is eating enough, if he has enough underwear and socks (yeah, mothers always worry about underwear and socks), if he is hot, or cold, or if he is coughing at night (he always had croup when he was little). It is hard to concentrate on other things when he is so far away.

So, please Mr. Bush, let's stop killing each other. Bring those boys back, let the Iraqis deal with their own problems, let's look into solar or nuclear energy instead of oil, let's stop all this nonsense. Let's make our airspace safe, let's take care of our country, our poor, our sick, our homeless. Let's be the country that helps, not the country that invades.

25 Comments:

At 10/26/2006 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Carmen. He is being looked out for.

 
At 10/26/2006 8:30 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

You said it all better than I could. I'm rooting for him and every Marine, soldier, sailor, coastguardsman, airman and National Guardsman to get home safe.

 
At 10/27/2006 3:55 AM, Blogger Dave said...

You all have my prayers, for what they are worth.

 
At 10/27/2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Kat, Fronty and Dave: Thank you for the kind comments and the prayers. A lot of times I don't post because I know it will be drivel like this post, but I can't help it! Thanks for bearing with me!

 
At 10/27/2006 11:30 AM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Carm:

You have every right, and likely need, to vent. And that is all perfectly OK. This is NOT drivel.

We're with you as much as we can be, thinking about him and hoping February comes quickly.

I don't pray, per se, but you and he will be in my thoughts and in my heart.

You're very strong. Hang in.

 
At 10/27/2006 2:18 PM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

It ain't drivel Carmenzta, not by a long shot. Keep posting and we're with you.

 
At 10/27/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Carmenzta. What FE said.
You have to post this.

 
At 10/28/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Carmy....they are right. This is SO not drivel. Post away. Write more about this, you need to vent it, get it out, share the burden you are bearing with those who care about you and your son.

I talk via instant messaging almost every day with the father of the boys I used to watch. He is in Iraq and it's surreal to me that he is where he is, I am where I am and we are talking. He asks me to call his wife and tell her this, or tell her that. One of his trucks was hit with an IED this week and burned to the ground. Thankfully his guys (he's in charge) survived.

More people need to write. You and your son are in our prayers Carmy. May the months till February fly. Big hugs hon. Big hugs.

 
At 10/28/2006 4:46 AM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Carmenzta. What Pamela said.
Except I wouldn't use the word 'surreal'. It is used far to often, basically, to be honest.

 
At 10/28/2006 8:23 AM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Carmenzta,

I've run into far too many sunshine patriots who scream and yell blue bloody murder when I've run stories and columns about the dangers and lack of political leadership our soldiers face every day. Your worries about your son, my worries about friends and neighbors over there . . . all those concerns mean more than any cheap slogans, bunting and dollar-store patriotism.

We're with you, every parent and loved one, and your son and every soldier over there, Carmenzta.

 
At 10/28/2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Basically, vicus, you should use that word more often. Honestly, you should.

 
At 10/29/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger tom909 said...

Carmy babe, what you write is what the world needs to hear.
And in truth is there one person left on the planet who now doesn't see what fools Bush and Blair were/are. Even they can see it, but cos of their pride they have to keep banging on about democracy and heroes. They've killed so many people now they can't turn round and admit they got it wrong - but they oh so did!
They should pay the price, not the mum's and dad's of the kids that wanted to be soldiers, not to mention all the innocent Iraqis, who more than likely don't give a toss about democracy anyway.
Eyewash Blair and Bush - you are a pair of c****.

 
At 10/30/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

the marines are the best of the best. he's got just that much extra going for him.
this doesn't do any good or fix anything for you, and I dont think anything i say could. but my heart is with you and so are my thoughts. it's a fucked up situation and you have every right to stand on the ROOFTOP and bitch about it at the top of your lungs!!!!!!!

 
At 10/31/2006 2:12 AM, Blogger jromer said...

amen sister.

 
At 11/01/2006 6:18 AM, Blogger Zig said...

what everyone says and more - counting the days with you xxx

 
At 11/02/2006 11:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just stopping by to offer up a hug to you quierida. Como esta la cosa?

 
At 11/03/2006 8:11 AM, Blogger Mark Gamon said...

When he comes back, Carmy, you just KEEP RIGHT ON writing about it. You do it too well to stop now.

We're all with you.

 
At 11/03/2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Carmie you can write about this 3 times a day if you need to. Imagine not being able to fight back?
I would want to enlist just to be there to protect my son ...even though I know that wouldn't help..
the whole thing is out of order and it has to end now..Rummy and Co. can't wait until their term is up to offer a solution and withdraw.
Keep venting. You know that we are all here for you if you need to talk...anytime.

 
At 11/04/2006 8:19 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Hey Carm...

OK?

 
At 11/05/2006 1:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah...what WW said. Long time no post. Hope you're ok.

 
At 11/05/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

On Tuesday vote for the people who are willing to END this fiasco and try to find a better way of resolving issues..
one that would bring your son home.
Take care Carm.

 
At 11/06/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger FirstNations said...

my darling, i've been thinking about you. you ok? are you stuck up on the roof because the ladder fell down? tell santa hi!
worried!
XOOfn

 
At 11/07/2006 6:01 AM, Blogger Zig said...

Carmy where are you?
I do so hope all is well
love and kisses
xxx

 
At 11/08/2006 12:36 AM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Carm:

Whatever's going on, and don't mean to intrude, but just know our thoughts and caring are with you.

 
At 11/08/2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Hope everything's okay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home