Suicide Blonde

Monday, January 08, 2007

One Year Ends, Another Begins...

Happy New Year to all my loyal readers all over the world!

Let me just share with you how my life has been in the last few weeks. You may want to get one of those spray water bottles and keep it handy because my life is not fascinating, but it is eventful.

Christmas was very nice even though I missed my Marine. One thing made me unusually and uncharacteristically cheerful despite his being away. I may have mentioned that I belong to a Yahoo group of all the mothers/wives/significant others of the Marines in my son's batallion. We were all emailing each other histerically just before Christmas, bemoaning the fact that our sons/husbands/fiancees were in Iraq and how much we missed them, and how Christmas was not going to be the same, etc. and then one Mom wrote in. Her message was: You people stop your complaining, your sons will be back in a couple of months, mine will never come back, he was one of the casualties this month. Well, needless to say, I pretty much decided that I would not complain or cry or be a pain in the ass or any of that silly stuff, because she was right. She was the one that had the right to cry and feel miserable, not us. I emailed her and offered my condolences, my prayers and a shoulder to cry on. And then I went on to become a cheery, happy, optimistic Santa's helper, did all my shopping, smiled at everyone, let cars in front of me in traffic, and became a really nice person there.

Right after Christmas, I left with with my BF and his family for Gatlinburg,TN. The idea was that we would all caravan to the mountains and stay at a cabin outside of Gatlinburg for New Year's and then head back. I have to tell you that as much as I was afraid it would be a fiasco, I had a great time. Why did I feel it would be a fiasco? Because every time I have traveled anywhere with anyone it has been a fiasco in one sense or another. For example, the trip I took as a newlywed to New Hampshire (eons ago), where my husband's aunt never stopped talking for one second the entire time we were there, and if I looked away she would push my arm and ask me "What did I just say to you?" (Yes, she really did this) and I got huge headaches, bruises on my arms, couldn't sleep at night and couldn't poop. So I was not a happy camper. Or the trip I took with a bunch of friends (before I got married, also many moons ago) in a van to the keys to go snorkeling and we ended up in Ocala (in the completely opposite direction) and my weird-o friends ended up trying to scuba dive in a hot spring that was on private property and got thrown out of there by a big TALL redneck that was kicking scuba gear around and screaming at all of us. Big Scare. And then on the way back everyone got mad at everyone else and we argued endlessly about whether to stop at McDonalds or not, or whether we really wanted to pee or were just trying to annoy everyone else... Terrible. There are many other trips from hell that I've taken, but for the sake of brevity I will not go into all of these.

No, this time I had a great time. My boyfriend's family is a hoot, they are a bunch of happy, insane, party people and they were warm and sweet to me (the outsider) the whole time. All we did was eat, sightsee and eat some more. It was great and I'm so glad we went. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful. I had crossed them several times in my childhood moving from one state to another, but it was nice to see them again. On the way back, we stopped at St. Augustine, which I love, and did a little more eating and sightseeing there before heading back to Miami.

Weirdnesses: Strangely enough, Gatlinburg, TN in the smoky mountains is chock full of people and traffic at this time of the year. On the outskirts of Gatlinburg there are miles and miles of outlet stores, mini-golfs of every imaginable theme (Star Wars Mini-Golf, Jurassic Park Mini-Golf, Care Bears Mini-Golf, the list is unending), malls, souvenir shops and the obligatory Burger King/McDonalds/Wendy's every three blocks. Sigh. No, make that Big Sigh. Outside one of the souvenir shops they advertised that they had live black bears. Three black bears were in cages and so fareeking bored with seeing strange people looking at them that they were sleeping almost all the time. The store sold bananas that you could "feed" them (translates as "throwing bananas at these poor, caged animals"). They weren't even interested in the bananas and didn't even look at them. It was so sad and I can't get that image out of my mind. Why isn't stuff like that illegal? Makes my blood boil.

We also visited "Dollywood." Ok, please heed my advice: NEVER, EVER go to Dollywood. Why not, you ask? And my answer is: Because it sincerely sucks and it costs $42 per person. It did not help that the day we went to Dollywood it was in the low 40s and all of us being thin-blooded Miamians we were freezing our behinds off even though we were dressed like an expedition to Antarctica. When we got there, and you have to understand that Dollywood is a "theme park" much like Disney World, except that it majorly sucks, we were trying to find parking and I am NOT kidding you, there were two huge parking lots all reserved for handicapped parking, miles and miles of them and THEY WERE FULL. If one more handicapped person would have visited Dollywood that day they would have had to leave because there was not one available handicapped parking space! Is the USA becoming a country of handicapped people? That is another item that pisses me off. Why do I see people coming out of cars parked in handicap spaces and then see them jogging into the stores? Hello? Is it only me or is this just abuse?

Back to Dollywood... The only redeemable thing there was the Thunderhead Roller Coaster! If I would have been alone, I would have ridden it 5 more times, it was great! It started with a huge climb and after that it was an effort just not to be thrown into outer space by this roller coaster! It was a wonderful tooth-gritting ride and I loved it. But then everything went downhill. The rest of this park was just animatronics bear jamborees, and the "Dolly something-or-other parade" and pretty lights everywhere and souvenir shops and food and... ok I may be making you gag, I'm sorry. And did I mention it was freezing?

So now we're home in wonderfully balmy and mild Miami, but wait, there's more news and weirdness: My younger son, Big D, called me on what we like to call New Year's Eve Eve (the 30th) even though I had already called him that day.

Me: D? Why are you calling? Is everything ok?

D: Mom, please don't get nervous...

Me: What? What happened?!

D: Nothing, really... I don't want you to get nervous but a friend of mine was coming by to pick me up and he crashed into the wall (Ed. note: we have a short wall around our house, it's on a corner) and then he kinda rolled into your rear bumper.

Me: What? He did what???

So my driving-challenged son has driving-challenged friends. Sigh.

That's how my 2006 ended. I hope 2007 is a good year for you, my loyal readers and for myself too!



12 Comments:

At 1/10/2007 8:19 AM, Blogger Zig said...

Carmy! Lovely to 'hear' from you! I have crossed Dollywood off my list of places to visit - thanks for the tip! Shame about the wall - it's a boy thing isn't it? Hope work settles down a bit for you this year and I wish you peace, love, health and happiness. xx

 
At 1/10/2007 9:43 AM, Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

I always imagined that Dollywood would have a roller coaster ride that featured TWO GIGANTIC SUMMITS!

I am calling the nutjobs at PETA about 'dem thar Bars what only eats bananers'
...much as they scare me PETA is the only organization foolhardy enough to take on the descendents of Daniel Boone and Davey Crockett to rescue those poor creatures.
PS
Don't ever let your son get on one of those segue thingamabobs!

 
At 1/10/2007 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carmenzta,

February is coming. Please don't worry.

Kat

 
At 1/11/2007 3:39 PM, Blogger Robbiegirl said...

So sorry I haven't been around for a while. Hope 2007 is a good one for you - you and your son are in my thoughts.

 
At 1/15/2007 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I loved reading about the trip. I love the Smoky MOuntains, too. Poor bears...poor, poor, poor bears.

This year will be a goodie. xoxo

 
At 1/17/2007 8:30 PM, Blogger jromer said...

i've missed you! how are you???? happy new year! and oh, i'm sorry about that ocala thing...my god, i went to ocala once. ONCE.
and i'm glad you are with someone who's great and who's family is great! take care! i'll be sure to visit more often!

 
At 1/18/2007 6:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Carmy!!! So glad to see you back and posting. Loved your description of your previous trips with other people. And thanks for the warning about Dollywood. I'd not planned on visiting and it's nice to know that my assumptions about the place were true.

Those poor bears. How completely and utterly cruel. HE has the right idea about getting PETA on their case.

Love a girl. Glad you're back and all is right in your world.

 
At 1/20/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

hey, chickie pie!
glad to hear you survived (and flourished!) over the holidays. and so glad to hear that you get along with your in-laws...thats HUGE.

tell me if this is true: i heard that the hugeass rollercoaster there has these two hugeass mountains set right next to each other on it as a joke reference to Dolly Parton's endowments...is that true???

 
At 1/20/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger FirstNations said...

...omg, i just read homoE's comment. is it only an urban legend? should i cancel my reservations?

 
At 1/22/2007 9:01 AM, Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Now that the uncontrollable laughter has subsided, I have to hand it to you about your observations on Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Dollywood (Incidentally, you were about 150 miles from my front door).

After several times of taking my son, niece and nephew there, I cringe at the thought of going near the place. I root for the bears when they manage to grab a hiker. The only thing more onerous than the traffic is the numbers of fudge shops. Seems like everyone is either making, packing or selling "homemade/traditional/creamery/wonderful" fudge. You couldn't walk down Gatlinburg's main street without seeing at least a dozen fudge outlets.

And that's the best, most accurate description I've ever heard of Dollywood. At the exit through the gift shop, there's one of those "flatten a penny as a souvenir: machines, and I'm pretty sure that everyone uses it more as stress relief and less as a souvenir.

One day I'll tell you about the time a reporter buddy of mine went to cover the grand opening of Dolly's water park area and saw her wearing a wetsuit with stiletto-heeled boots.

 
At 1/22/2007 7:10 PM, Blogger WithinWithout said...

Dolly's just paying it forward, that's all.

How are you Carmy? And your son?

Hope all's well. Really.

 
At 1/23/2007 3:36 PM, Blogger Carmenzta said...

Ziggi, thank you for the good wishes! I wish you, Himself, and the kiddies the best for 2007!

HE, Thank you for calling PETA but I don't think they will venture there to free the bears. And no, I did not see two gigantic summits at Dollywood but then again I have two X chromosomes, not an X and a Y!

Kat! February is just around the corner!

Anna, I haven't been around much either. What with the promotion and all I'm just one busy Ass. Director hahaha! Hope you are feeling better, my friend.

Dyna, sweetie, I hope you're right about 2007!

JRomer, I hope that split-pea soup virus you had is now history! I missed you too, hope things go great for you this year. Yeah, Ocala is not a place that you would want to return to, unless you were a retiring horse rancher.

Pammy! How have you been, mi amiga? I have to do a lot of catch-up reading. Hope you and your family are doing good!

FN, I did not notice anything resembling Dolly's boobs but then again I was busy freezing my butt off. Cancel the reservation anyway.

Fronty, I would forgive the wetsuit and stilettoes, actually that would have been a welcome change of scenery. But I will never forget hours of standing around getting frostbite while pretending to watch Dolly's Lame-ass Christmas Parade. Everyone hated it so much that we would threaten the kids with returning there if they didn't behave. It worked.

WW! Long time no see! I'm doing great and all ready to see my son the first week of February. Hope your 2007 started off great! I'll be catching up on your blog this week (my boss is out of town).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home